Supporting aspiring youth filmmakers in Waterloo Region
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO
Thank you to all youth who submitted to the 2021 call for films! Due to a low number of submissions, we have decided to combine the 2021 competition with the 2022 edition. Films submitted this year will be included in the running for 2022.
If you submitted in 2021, you do not need to resubmit your video. We will do that for you! If you would like to submit a new video, please fill out and submit the application again with your new film. Only your most recent submission will be included in the competition.
We are now accepting new submissions for the 2021/2022 Youth Video Competition. The submission deadline is March 21, 2022 at 11 p.m.
The Youth Video Application
- a YouTube or Vimeo link to your video
- information about yourself
- the inspiration behind your video
Two people will win the $300 prize in each of our three age categories:
- 12 to 14
- 15 to 17
- 18 to 25
We may also choose up to 10 honourable mention winners.
You can only submit one video. To win you must:
- be a Canadian resident – applications from Waterloo region will be given preference
submit a video between 45 seconds and three minutes in length suitable for all ages (including credits)
- upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo at the highest quality possible (please make sure your video can be accessed for at least two months following the submission deadline)
- you must have created, filmed and edited your video without any adult assistance (adult actors are allowed)
allow your video to be screened at a public event or virtually on the city’s YouTube channel
All images, music and sound effects used in your video must be original or used per the content’s copyright or use guidelines. If we suspect that your video inappropriately uses copy written material, your video may be disqualified.
A musical composition, sound effect or an image available on the internet may not signify that it is in the public domain. You may still need to have permission from the artist to use it in your film. For that reason, it is best to use platforms such as the Creative Commons.
The Creative Commons provides millions of songs, images and music as long as you follow their guidelines for use.
Please reference all media sources in your video description or credits.
HOW WE PICK A WINNER
- Winners are selected based on their technical and artistic merits. We assess technical merits based on how well your video meets our contest rules.
- We assess artistic merit based on originality, quality and design.